Monday, March 23, 2015

There and Back Again: A Missionary's Tale

Traveling to first area in Denmark nearly 2 years ago
Well, this is it. Two years have come and gone. I won't say that they've been the easiest or the fastest two years of my life, but now that things are closing you wish you could turn back time and relive the mission again. I don't have too much time today, so I'll stick mostly to the activities that took place this last week.

On Tuesday my good friend Ester from Copenhagen took us out to lunch, got me an awesome birthday present, and gave us a tour of the giant ship, Pavl Anker, which she works on! It was awesome and I'm very grateful for everything that she has done for me.

We had our Zone Conference this week and it was such a bittersweet experience. We were trained on the new Easter Initiative which the church is doing. It looks great! We then got to watch "Meet the Mormons" which was so good! Definitely that last story really hit home for me. I also played the musical number, I Believe in Christ, and President Sederholm actually had me play it a second time right before he announced transfers! That was exciting to hear where everyone was going in person, but it was way emotional when he got to me. It was also really rough when I had to give my departing testimony. These missionaries have been my friends, companions, fellow servants for Christ! It was hard to think I wouldn't see most of them again for a long while.

We had a few other lessons, found a new investigator, rode a broken down bike which we duct taped together because my bike was given to Elder Brindley in Copenhagen, had an awesome eating appointment in Svaneke with a couple non-members, Marianne and Lars, and had service at the Mogensens. There are lots of little stories I could share, but I only have time for one.

The Miracle:

6 investigators, 2 less-actives, 31 total people in church. I could not have asked for a more satisfying conclusion to my time on Bornholm and my mission. Because of the change in the branch presidency, the mission president, stake president, old senior couple, and new senior couple were all present. We had a couple guests, then our less-actives came walking in, then Saskia, Siff, one of Saskia's kids, Jane Larsen, Lis and Steen came! It was an absolute miracle! The Spirit was so strong and all of them were so touched. It was amazing to look out and see that chapel completely filled with people. It was all I ever wanted, to help this branch which I love so much.
Bornholm Branch Building


And that was the hardest part, leaving the island. It was probably the hardest thing I ever had to do. Especially leaving the Mogensens. It meant the end of my time on Bornholm, the end of my time as a missionary, and the end of being with the family I have come to love so much.

But now, I get to see you all again. Yes, it's hard to leave, but this gospel is a gospel of faith and hope. And faith always looks to the future.

I love you all so much. Thank you for loving and supporting me these past two years. I could never express gratitude enough. See you tomorrow.

For the last time,

-Ældste Christian Patrick Wawro

PS.
Elder Wawro will be speaking in his home Ward at 1 PM at 430 East, 700 North, Orem, Utah.  All are welcome to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment