Wednesday, January 28, 2015

There Are Angels In Our Midst

The cliffs near Jons Kapel (John's Chapel)
So, this has been an interesting week. It's had extreme highs, and it's lows as well. It's been a week of motivating and humbling. Elder Redd and I taught lots of lessons (and I'll share a little about all of them) and also had some success finding.

But first, let's talk about the awesome Preparation Day we had last week! We spent it with the Mogensen family and we visited two places: Jons Kapel and Hammershus. Oh, they were amazing! The cliffs on Bornholm are so beautiful! But boy, there were a ton of stairs! Hammershus is an ancient castle ruin, over 1000 years old. It's built on a hill right next to the sea, and it's absolutely incredible! I felt like I was walking into a movie! It turned out to be so much fun, especially because we were enjoying it with the Mogensens!


Here's a quick description about all of our lessons:
Hammershus Castle Ruins


N* and K* was a great appointment! They held their commitment to watch Elder Bednar's "Come and See" video and they loved it! N* said that she began to tear up as she watched it, and they were both impressed with the way he presented our purpose as missionaries. Great lesson, great progress, we have high hopes for them!

S1*, S2*, and M* were all together with us for dinner at S1*'s and we had a really good discussion about Moroni's Promise. Apparently, M* had already gone and checked out a Book of Mormon from the library and started reading it! All of them were really open and plan to read and pray about it!


S3* and L* are doing great, she actually printed off a lot of coupons for my mom! You can see that S3* already has had a big appreciation for the missionaries, it's too bad that she's not been in the church for a while. But she still believes in everything and hopefully will bring her husband with her into the church again!

M2* is from Burma and is a new. He's Buddhist and is very nice. We gave him the first lesson in Burmese from Preach My Gospel. He has some friends who he said would be interested, so hopefully we'll meet them soon!


J* needed help putting some furniture together, so we did just that! We brought Elder Middlemas with us and we had a great time with each other. J* really appreciates the missionaries and everything we have done for her, and she is also really open to our message. We made a list of short scriptures from the Book of Mormon that she can read and she committed to do it!

R* is a new investigator. He was a previous investigator a while ago, but then his wife got sick and he didn't really want to do anything other than focus on her. We found his record and decided to stop by, and we found out that his wife had passed away about a year ago. It was really hard for him, but he says he know that he will see her again. He doesn't know why, but he has that feeling. So we shared a part of the Plan of Salvation and he really appreciated it. Hopefully we can help him to see what he can do to make sure he's prepared to see her again!


T2* is Burmese and a new investigator. He has a great family and seems open to our message. We also gave him the first lesson in Burmese, so we hope he reads!

T3* was our last lesson of the week. Tommy used to believe in Christianity. We had a really good discussion with him where he told us his story of why he left his faith in God. We established a good friendship, now we just need to find out how we can help him return to the faith he had!

It really was a great week. We taught lots and found lots. We had tons of our investigators say they would come to church, and we were way excited about that because President Sederholm was coming to church on Bornholm! So Saturday evening, Elder Redd got sick and needed to rest, so I began to fast and pray that it would be made possible that our investigators could come to church. I wanted a miracle to happen to show the branch that we could build up the church on Bornholm, because I love this branch so much. So I prayed with all my might and energy of soul.



Then the next day came, the meetings started, and nobody had come. Not one of our investigators. I thought I was going to be a lot more crushed, but a peace had entered into my heart that morning that told me that everything was going to be ok. I also happened to be speaking that Sunday after President Sederholm, but when I stood up to speak I didn't end up giving that talk that I had written. I talked instead about God's will, and I hate to say it but that's when the disappointment and emotions really started to hit me and I lost a bit of control of myself up on that stand. We had worked so hard to get them in church! Why?! Why couldn't they just come and see how good this could be for them?! But after I could regain myself a little, I finished my talk and sat down.

Then President stood back up and went to the stand, and these were the only words he said. He looked at me and said, "Elder Wawro, there are many souls in this room today." Then he sat down. Looking around, there were only about 15 people there, but he wasn't talking about us. The Spirit filled the room and I imagined that very room filled with people one day! But then, right then, we were in the presence of angels.

I'll always remember that experience. I don't know that we'll see much happen while I'm here. But I'm willing to work and do everything in my power so that one day, maybe just one day, this church on Bornholm will not have space to contain the many people that will want to come hear the word of God. I know it could be like that. It should be like that. We'll do what we can so it will be like that.

You learn many things on a mission, many that you'd never imagine you'd experience.

Well, I love you all! I hope you all have an amazing week, and I'll be praying for you!

MKH,

-Ældste Wawro





Sunrise from our apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment