Thursday, May 2, 2013

3rd Week at the MTC


Hello everyone! Thank you so much for everyone who sent me letters :) Tell all of our friends and family thanks as well. I love hearing all about what's going on in all of your lives.

You may be wondering why I'm emailing you today. This week they changed my schedule so now my Preparation Day is on Tuesday. Since I'm only allowed to write on Preparation Day I had no way of telling you all beforehand, so now you know Tuesday is the day I read and write emails.

I'm so glad to hear that you are actually doing You're A Good Man Charlie Brown! I wish I could see it because I know it's going to be a way fun show. I'm still sad that I missed West Side Story and from what I've heard from you all it was pretty amazing. Hopefully you recorded it so I can see it when I get back.
Today I realized that tomorrow is Nathan's birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATHAN. 16 years old...that's crazy! Ha, I was laughing when I heard how Claire asked Nathan to Spring Fling. It's exciting that you get to take that next step in your life.

This week was the first week where I was finally able to start teaching investigators without having to read a pre-written lesson the entire time. I'm finally being able to say basic sentences in Danish from the top of my head. Danish is really hard because there are practically no rules to anything. You pretty much have to learn every word individually. I know now more than ever that the gift of tongues does not come naturally but it's something I'm going to have to work on really hard. I know if I try my best that Heavenly Father will make up the difference.

Everyone in my zone is really close. This has been cool because I've become really good friends with the people going to Sweden. I met one return missionary who was Elder Jay Sargent's trainer out in the field. I also met his teacher in the MTC. Both of them told me that he is a fantastic missionary and is doing really good work.
The longer I'm here the more I realize how false my perception on missionaries was. Growing up I always imagined them as these really mature, incredibly intelligent, ever obedient people. They aren't though. They are very ordinary people. From here they don't look like anything special, including myself. They seem young and demonstrate many qualities of immaturity. That's what I find so amazing about the MTC. Somehow the Lord is able to take these incredibly young boys and mold them, shape them, and create them into something truly special. Reading through the scriptures you see this same thing happen time and time again. He takes raw materials and crafts something beautiful that can bring some soul unto repentance.

I am increasingly realizing that my life is not my own. Not just my mission life, but my entire life. My life was given so I could give it others. There is absolutely no separation between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and my everyday life. I know now that whatever I decide to do when I get back needs to be something that helps with the progression of the Kingdom of God. I don't know what that means exactly, but I know I need to help.

A mission is hard work. I have days where I'm tired the entire day. I spend hours at a time in a classroom which would normally drive me crazy. Yet I love it. I love every second of it here. I would not trade this experience for the world. I can feel my Heavenly Father touching my soul every day and making me a little bit stronger. I feel so weak and inadequate at times, but he will make me strong.

I love you all so much! Happy Birthday again, Nathan! I'm praying for you all and can't wait to hear from you again!

-Ældste Wawro

No comments:

Post a Comment